Oakland Community College Athletics have kicked off the 2014-2015 season with athletes training and competing in cross country, women’s volleyball and men’s golf. Basketball season begins next, on October 1.
With the current athletes and newly signed talent, OCC Athletic Director Laurie Huber anticipates a very successful 2014-2015.
“OCC Raiders had three All-Americans last year, all freshmen,” Huber said. “This year should be just as successful if not better.”
OCC is excited to begin the new athletics season, which features great talent, including the following new athletes who signed on as OCC Raiders:
- Brianna Hopkins, of River Rouge High School, signed as Point Guard. A strong defender and good rebounder, she will help OCC transition offense and second chance possessions.
- Martavia Poole, of River Rouge High School, signed to OCC Southfield. A great addition on defense, tough and strong with guard ability to score, she will help with rebounding goals for the team.
- Starrnisha Harris, of River Rouge High School, signed as Point Guard. Born to be a point guard, she has great floor presence and knows the game well.
- Ferndale High School Senior Taryn Stephens signed with OCC, accepting a 2-year scholarship to play shooting guard and small guard for the Michigan Community College Athletic Association (MCCAA) team.
- Kalie Marantette is a 5’10” outside hitter from Lakeland High School in White Lake. Kalie played club volleyball at Super Nova Volleyball.
- Selena Golnick is a 6’, six-position middle attacker from Cadillac High School. Selena placed 13th in the 2013 Class-B All-State voting. She played club volleyball at InsideOut Volleyball.
- Jonna Villamure comes to OCC from Michigan Tech. Jonna was a setter for the Huskies before transferring to OCC in January. Prior to MTU, Jonna played at Milford High School and club volleyball with A2.
- Cassie Porta transferred to OCC from Lawrence Tech. Cassie was the libero position for the Blue Devils before coming to OCC in January. Prior to LTU, Cassie played high school volleyball at Hartland High and club volleyball with A2.
- Paige VanOordt, a graduate of Grand Haven High School, comes to OCC as a utility player. She is 5’10” and filled the roles of defensive specialist and setter in high school. Paige plays club volleyball with Impact Dynamic 18’s.
- Karlee Weissend is a 6’1,” six-position middle attacker from Clio High School. She plays club volleyball at Oakland Elite with the 18-1.
The OCC Raiders had a banner year in 2013-2014 featuring 44 signed athletes, 15 athletes transferring to four-year schools with athletic scholarships and stellar performances by all Raiders teams.
“Four of our teams won their conference and two teams were national tournament qualifiers,” said Head Softball Coach Jamie Corona. “Multiple athletes from all seven teams won post-season athletic and academic awards.”
Outstanding performances by OCC Raiders in 2013-2014 included:
OCC Raiders Softball team finished in the top 10 at the NJCAA DII Women’s Softball Tournament in Clinton, Mississippi.
Freshman pitcher Manda Messer was named DII Player of the week for the weeks of 4/14/14 and 4/21/14. She was also named Conference MVP for the MCCAA Eastern Conference.
Maggie Irvine was named National Softball Player of the Week for 4/28.
- Women’s Softball head coach Jamie Corona won Coach of the Year for the MCCAA Eastern Conference & District H.
- Richard Coatta was awarded the Golf MCCAA Eastern Conference Coach of the year.
- Jeff Stark, Volleyball coach, received Michigan Community College Athletic Association & Region XII Coach of the Year.
The following athletes were awarded National Junior College Athletic Association All-American honors:
- Sarah Lindsay – Half Marathon
- Mike Gaulin – 2nd Team All-American – Men’s Golf
- Manda Messer – 3rd Team All-American – Women’s Softball
These athletes transferred to four-year schools with athletic scholarships:
- Peyton Lang – University of North Alabama (volleyball)
- Kaitlin Mault – University of Northwest Ohio (volleyball)
- Ellsea Smith – University of Northwest Ohio (volleyball)
- Spencer Stokes – Madonna University (volleyball)
- Brittany Guldan -Wayne State University (volleyball)
- Lauren Featherston – Concordia University (basketball)
- Dianna Doebler – Finlandia University (basketball)
- Tanner McCune – Concordia University (basketball)
- Courtney Murphy – Northwood University (basketball)
- Hannah Rockensuess – Cleary University (softball)
- Adrian Emanuelson – Cleary University (softball)
- Alexis Powell – University of Michigan, Dearborn (softball)
- Jametrius Wade – Concord University (basketball)
- Carlos Eubanks – Lake Superior State University (basketball)
- Ben Proben – Ferris State University (golf)
- Nathan Stepney – Edinboro University of Pennsylvania (basketball)
Schedules for all Raiders sports are available at http://www.mccaa.org/.