Staff, faculty and students college-wide, as well as interested community members, are invited to join in events and activities honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Friday, January 15, 2016, 10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. | Orchard Ridge Campus, Smith Theatre
- Open to the public, free admission.
- Guest Speaker, Stephen Henderson. Henderson is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, Detroit Free Press editorial page editor, host of WDET’s Detroit Today and host of the weekly talk shows “American Black Journal” and “MiWeek,” both on Detroit Public Television. Among his many awards and honors, Henderson was the National Association of Black Journalists’ pick for Journalist of the Year in 2014.
- Sponsored by OCC College Committee for Diversity and Inclusion, to raise diversity and inclusion awareness through programs and activities and advocate a collaborative vision of diversity and inclusion.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Service Project 2016
Monday, January 18, 2016 (all day) Start time 9:00a.m. | 11600 East 7 Mile Rd, Detroit MI
- Open to community members, students, staff and faculty college-wide.
- For over 10 years, OCC’s Student LIFE organizers participate in a volunteer project benefitting a local non-profit organization (the college is closed in honor of the holiday).
- This year’s project is to secure 25 vacant properties and create safer pathways on student walking routes to Detroit’s Pulaski Elementary and Osborn High Schools. The larger project is sponsored by the AmeriCorps Urban Safety Program, Build On, Detroit Public Schools, the Detroit Youth Service Corps, Wayne Cares and Wayne State University. Register at https://mlk2016.splashthat.com/
- OCC Student LIFE is deeply dedicated to community service and providing additional pathways for students for leadership development. “This is a perfect opportunity to honor Dr. King’s legacy and celebrate his belief that “Everyone can be great. Because anybody can serve.”